Financing your Teaching Credential

Financial aid counseling is available for all students.

Read below to find out about financial aid opportunities for credential students and current educators.


Second Annual STEM Career Awareness Day

20150131_105055 (2)

Types of Financial Aid

  • There are two general types of aid:  Grants/scholarships and loans.  The major different between the two is that the loans need to be repaid, whereas grants and scholarships do not.

  • Interest rates for loans vary, as do the time requirements for repayment of the principal and interest; your financial aid counselor will help you find the most beneficial mix and the most favorable loans.  Some loans for teachers can be “forgiven”.

  • Federal Pell Grants and California Cal Grants and State University Grants are good examples of programs that give financial assistance based on a student’s financial needs; these do not need to be repaid.

  • Students who meet federal income requirements may also be eligible for Work/Study positions. Work/Study provides you with pay for work on campus and/or in the community, work that is often related to your career.

  • There are new financial support programs for teachers that  may become available in the near future.  Your financial aid counselor will keep you up to date on these.

  • Work/Study positions and paid tutoring positions may also be available.

Financial Aid for Credential Students

Grants and Scholarships

Cal Grants A, B & C

Financial aid for low- and middle-income students who have not earned a BA. Aid may be extended for a fifth year for people pursuing a teaching credential. Cal Grant A can be used for tuition and fees. Cal Grant B can be used for living expenses, books, tuition and fees. Cal Grant C can help pay for tuition and training costs at an occupational or career college.

More information

Community College Transfer Entitlement Award

This award is given to California community college transfer students who were not awarded Cal Grant As and BS within a year after graduation from high school.

More information

Pell Grants

This federal grant money is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degree. Students must meet eligibility requirements.

More information

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. This does not have to be repaid.

More information

Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program

This is a federally funded program in which scholarships are awarded solely on the basis of academic merit and may be renewed for up to four years.

More information

Loan Programs

APLE Assumption Plan of Loans for Education

A teaching incentive program for students, out-of-state teachers and district interns to become California teachers in critical subject areas or designated schools

More information

FFEL Federal Family Education Loan

These are subsidized or unsubsidized loans available to either graduate or undergraduate students enrolled in at least half-time attendance at a college or university

More information

Perkins Loans

This is a federal loan program in which the funds you can receive depend on whether you’re an undergraduate student or a graduate or professional student

More information

Stafford Loans

Loan limits depend on what year you are in school, whether your a dependant student, and whether you are receiving “subsidized” or “unsubsidized” loans

More information

Federal Work Study

This program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need.

More information

Financial Aid for Teachers

Financial Resources and Incentives


The Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase Program (ECTP) helps make first-time homeownership a possibility by providing a deferred-payment junior loan for down payment assistance (from $7,500-$15,000, depending on the property location, or 3% of the purchase price, whichever is greater).

More information

California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CALSTRS)

The largest U.S. teachers’ retirement fund provides defined (lifetime) benefits for service retirement, survivor benefits and disability retirement.

More information

CalSTRS Home Loan Program

Whether purchasing a new home, refinancing to lower payments, or taking cash out, the CalSTRS Home Loan Program offers competitive rates on a variety of mortgage loan programs.

More information

Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase

Public agencies such as cities and counties are permitted to use CDLAC tax credits or mortgage revenue bonds to support a program to recruit and retain teachers.

More information

Good Neighbor Next Door

Teachers can purchase HUD homes at 50% off list price in HUD designated revitalization neighborhoods. Reduced down payments are available with FHA insured mortgages.

More information

National Board Certification Incentive Program

An additional $20,000 is awarded to the recipient for service in low-performing schools.

More information

FFEL Loan Forgiveness

This program is designed to encourage individuals to enter into and continue in the teaching profession. The program pays up to $5,000 after the fifth year of teaching on outstanding loan balances.

More information


California Student Aid Commission

The California Student Aid Commission is a resource for California residents who want to pursue higher education and need financial guidance.

1-888-CA-GRANT (1-888-224-7268)


EdFund is an organization which manages federal student loan payments for California Students.

1-877-2EDFUND (1-877-233-3863)

TEACH California

TEACH California is an organization which provides road maps and resources to prospective teaching credential students, current teachers and those shifting their career to the education field.

Troops to Teachers

The program provides a link between current and prior armed service members who desire to pursue a career in education by providing counseling, financial and placement assistance.

More information

No Child Left Behind

No Child Left Behind, otherwise known as, is a government website which provides information on loan forgiveness, FAFSA and other resources. Information

CSET Information

The California Educator Credentialing Examinations website is the official place to learn more about accreditation tests for teachers.


Ed-Join is an organization which provides current job listings for educators nationwide.

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing is a state website which provides resources and online services to educators.